Physicians and medical personnel should watch for these cues to determine if a patient should receive a Hospice evaluation.
• Frequent hospitalizations/doctor visits/calls
• Recurrent infections
• Decline in physical activity
• Uncontrolled symptoms (pain, diarrhea/constipation, edema, n/v, shortness of breath, abnormal labs/tests)
• Sleeping more/change in mentation
• Weight loss/difficulty swallowing/aspiration
• Multiple diagnoses
• Prognosis less than 6 months to 1 year
• Pt/family goals are for comfort only
• DNR not a requirement
• Open Access program for cancer patients on Palliative treatment w/poor prognosis
Offer to have a Comfort Care Consultant explain available services, anytime, days/nights/weekends. 712-233-4144 or 800-383-4545.