The Bereavement Team is easily accessible to listen to your special needs and concerns and to provide help as you work through the healing process.
The following bereavement services are offered to you and every family assisted by Hospice of Siouxland for at least 13 months following the loss of a loved one.
• A Bereavement Coordinator offers a visit within 3-8 weeks after your loss to assess the needs and concerns of your family and offer support through the grieving process. Short-term individual bereavement counseling, by a bereavement coordinator, is available to family members to facilitate the healing process.
• Because grieving is a very individual process which varies greatly from one person to another, you may find that our Bereavement Newsletters provide you with additional comfort and a greater understanding of the process. They can be mailed monthly for one year.
• Trained bereavement volunteers are available to provide support and companionship.
• An educational and guided support program for adults, “Grief and Growth,” is offered each fall. The groups are not designed to achieve resolution of grief, but to provide an opportunity to share experiences and ideas with others who have suffered a loss.
• For children in your family from ages 6-17 who have experienced the loss of a family member or friend, Hospice offers Camp Courage, a supportive environment in which they can gain an understanding of grief and loss and develop healthy coping skills.
When Families Grieve
“When Families Grieve” is a great resource for parents or caregivers on how to talk to children who has lost a parent or loved one. This site includes video’s, activities, a booklet and educational materials to help the families move forward.