Grief is a normal and necessary reaction to the loss of a loved one. Hospice of Siouxland Bereavement Services can assist you in understanding and dealing with that grief through a variety of supportive and caring programs. The Bereavement Team is easily accessible to listen to your special needs and concerns and to provide help as you work through the healing process.
The following bereavement services are offered to you and every family assisted by Hospice of Siouxland for at least 13 months following the loss of a loved one.
• A Bereavement Coordinator offers a visit within 3-8 weeks after your loss to assess the needs and concerns of your family and offer support through the grieving process. Short-term individual bereavement counseling, by a bereavement coordinator, is available to family members to facilitate the healing process. You are welcome to call 712-233-4144 at any time and ask to speak to a bereavement coordinator.
• Because grieving is a very individual process which varies greatly from one person to another, you may find that our Grief Journey newsletters provide you with additional comfort and a greater understanding of the process. They will be mailed monthly for one year.
• Trained bereavement volunteers are available to provide support and companionship.
• An educational and guided support program for adults, “Grief and Growth,” is helpful for many. The groups are not designed to achieve resolution of grief, but to provide an opportunity to share experiences and ideas with others who have suffered a loss. Call us or look in the Grief Journey newsletters for upcoming offerings.
• For children in your family from ages 6-17 who have experienced the loss of a family member or friend, Hospice offers the Family Grief Support Group and Camp Courage. Both offer a relaxed yet supportive environment in which they can gain an understanding of grief and loss and develop healthy coping skills. In addition, we have collected the family related articles and activities from the Grief Journey newsletters and created Family Grief Journey Workbook. Please call 712-233-4144 and ask for the Children’s Bereavement Coordinator for more information on children’s grief.
When Families Grieve
“When Families Grieve” is a great resource for parents or caregivers on how to talk to children who has lost a parent or loved one. This site includes video’s, activities, a booklet and educational materials to help the families move forward.