The goal of Palliative Care is to prevent or treat symptoms of the disease and/or side effects caused by treatment of the disease, and address emotional, social and spiritual issues related to the disease or its treatment.
Palliative Care is designed for individuals with an advanced chronic illness including, but not limited to:
• Heart disease
• Kidney disease
• Lung disease
Professional and dedicated team:
Families of persons diagnosed with long term or chronic illnesses often struggle with understanding and meeting the many needs of their loved one. Siouxland Palliative Care, a division of Hospice of Siouxland, brings together a professional and dedicated team that can help manage the needs of the patient and family to prevent and avoid crisis, while providing the peace-of-mind of on-call availability 24 hours-a-day, seven days a week if questions or problems arise.
The Palliative Care Team coordinates:
• open and consistent physician communication to help monitor the patient and family;
• compassionate nursing care for pain and symptom management and education on the disease process, treatment choices, and how to care for a loved one at home;
• social workers to ensure available community resources and services such as financial, emotional and educational support are being utilized;
• spiritual comfort and support through home clergy visits
• trained volunteers who provide needed companionship for the patient and relief for the family.
Through use of Siouxland Palliative Care, families can be strengthened, patient hospitalizations can be minimized and nursing home admissions reduced.
To learn more about Palliative Care
Deadrea’s Story is a great example of how Palliative Care can make a difference. Watch the video below, or read her story here.
In order to receive Palliative Care, a referral is required by your physician. Contact your family physician or call 712-233-4100.
Funding for this program is on a private-pay basis. A sliding fee schedule has been established and is based on the patient and family’s ability to pay for services.